The Adventist Movement in the former Wallaga Province, now five distinct Zones, namely West Wallaga, East Wallaga, Kelem Wallaga, Horro Guduru Wallaga and Benshangul Gumuz Zones. Its beginning point is back in 1925 by Mr. W. Koelling having its post at a place Called Domi. Domi is 70 Km away from the current West Ethiopia Conference office, 470 Km away from the capital city of Ethiopia which is Adis Abeba. After two years hard work and difficult life in Domi (now known as Aira), the missionaries left that area in 1927; this was because of the Malaria disease epidemic and water born infections. In those days there were no modern medical facilities that could have helped them to stay and work more.
In 1927, the pioneers moved to Gimbie town, 410 Km away from Adis Abeba, where the head quarter of the conference is found. After departure of Mr. W. Koelling, Mr. Carl Jensen, the Danish missionary, led the work at this second station, in Gimbie and its area. Mr. Deresa Danki from Ethiopia was assisting him with the establishment of the new mission station at Gimbie. Life was very hard for Jensen’s family that they had lost three of their children in the time they had spent to establish the Gimbie Adventist station. In addition to the Gospel work, the missionaries started a successful dispensary, Elementary School, and by so doing they won the favor of the chief and his coworkers. See Gimbie Adventist Hospital.
Governor Dajazmach (title) Habte Mariyam Gebra Egziabir has played a vital role being progressive and cooperative leader. Habte Mariyam Gebregzabiher was the one who gave the land now owned by both the West Ethiopia Conference and Gimbie SDA Hospital. There were only about 5000 in habitants in the village during the time. Until 1936, when the Italians invasion, the school and the clinic were operated well and the next five years were the time of less active works of missionary works because of the Italian attack .
In 1941 the missionary work was begun by other missionaries like W.H. Anderson; this year, the government had returned all the missionary stations they had opened before the invasion, as long as they could have operated it effectively. Two families of a Physician and an evangelist come from United States of America, to open the work in Wollega. In April 1944, Pastor Anderson travelled to West Ethiopia to help reopening the missionary work in West Ethiopia Field, now, West Ethiopia Conference, in Gimbie. Four Ethiopians, Adem Ali from Zawiditu Hospital as a medical evangelist, two girls: Abaynesh Mengesha and Tihun Haile, Mr. Amare Yishaw as translator and two foreigners, Pastor Anderson and Sorenson came to Gimbie.
When they arrived the station was badly misused by the Italian soldiers, most of the houses were out of use. Mr. Sorenson and his assistants maintained for the other missionaries to lead the work in West Ethiopia Field. Mrs. Herman Davis come from USA in 1945 and latter Dr. Claude Steen arrived Gimbie to carry out the Medical Work in the whole region and as a president of the field. While the others were working in the town Pastor Anderson walked into the nearby villages and rural areas where he had conducted evangelistic efforts and once he won 41 souls for Christ.